Always wanted to learn the art of Rock Climbing? Crag 2 Mountain’s Learn to Lead Trad Climbing experience is the perfect opportunity to experience climbing Dartmoor's impressive granite towers.
Climb in one of the UK’s most iconic climbing locations with highly experienced rock climbing guides. Perfect to learn the skills to go it alone or step your skills up to the next level.
Mountain Training Rock Skills is a progressive Rock Climbing scheme to take you from beginner to independent lead climber. The Rock Skills courses are a nationally recognised award scheme managed by Mountain Training.
The Rock Skills Learn to Lead Trad climbing course will provide you with the skills you need towards becoming an independent lead climbing.
This course is also perfect if you are ready to progress to leading trad routes outside, if you are looking to improve your lead climbing confidence or refresh your leading skills.
This course is accredited by Mountain Training and you’ll receive a certificate upon completion.
Registration with Mountain Training is required for this course which costs £21 per person. Please see our website or enquire for more information.
Bespoke courses are also available, please enquire.
Day 1A Crag 2 Mountain Rock Skills Learn to Lead Trad starts with a friendly welcome from your instructor and an opportunity to get to know your climbing group.
Your instructor will work with you to establish what you would like to achieve from your experience. Followed by a brief introduction talk including safety equipment fitting, an explanation of how the day will run and plenty of top tips for climbing the rocks.
Time to climb! Your instructor will guide you through your climbing experience and help you covering desired learning outcomes and the course content along the way.
• Choosing venues using guidebooks, mobile devices and the importance of the climbing partnership.
• Safe and assured movement when leading climbs and optimising natural rests for placing gear.
• Ropes and technical equipment for lead climbing, contents of a lead rack and how to carry it, selection and function of gear.
• Technical skills - Selection and placement of suitable gear to protect leader and second, choosing anchors, effective ropework, attaching to multiple anchors, belaying, holding leader and second falls in a controlled environment.
• The impact of climbers at the crag, ethics, access and environmental considerations for climbers.
• Hazards and emergency procedures.
Day 2Outcomes of the Course:
• To have had lots of experience of outdoors trad climbing throughout the course.
• Be in a stronger position to lead trad routes on rock, using appropriate techniques and safe practice.
• To be confident lead belaying a climber.
• A Learn to Lead Sport course is the next step in the Rock Skills pathway if you haven't already done one.
• Once you are a competent trad leader you may want to consider becoming a Rock Climbing Instructor.
This adventure is perfect for individuals and small groups, and can be tailored for:
- School groups
Make this experience your own: Send Enquiry