A fun, practical and challenging course which addresses the essential and often neglected skills of navigating at night or in poor visibility, and provides a great opportunity to explore and appreciate the South Downs countryside in darkness. Participants will learn how to manage the changing conditions which can be unsettling if you are unprepared. As night-time falls, accurate navigation skills are key as is knowing where you are at all times. Your instructor will show you how you can safely follow a route when landmarks are not visible. Our Skills Academy has been providing courses for over 9 years and are run by highly qualified and experienced instructors.
The course lasts for 3.5 hours approx - we vary the start time of the course depending on the time of year and sunset times. The course is only offered from October-March. Finish back at a local pub for post course reflection.Learning Outcomes
- Choosing navigation strategies and routes
- Relocation and measuring distance on and off the map
- Planning, preparation and preserving night vision
- Refresh navigation skills
- Develop micro navigation skills
- Emergency procedures and safety