A one day course specifically aimed at complete beginners with no previous knowledge. Learn how to carve a relief in wood in a single day, (the very foundation of all sculpture in the round) with highly personal one to one tuition in the beautiful surroundings of the Peak District National Park. One to one tuition is by far the best and quickest way to learn a new skill, without the usual distractions of a group situation. This is a serious coarse for those interested in art, and provides the first step to a more creative and artistic future.
Price £240 for a one to one experience,,,,,,£390 for one to two experience.
There are no set dates, please make contact to check availability.
- how to use and sharpen carving gouges
- Principles of drawing and the creation of movement.
- How to carve the shape of the subject with various gouges.
- The principle of emphasize to create life and drama.
How to carve without breakage.
- Undercutting to create shadow lines and the illusion of depth.
- Working up the background for greater clarity of the subject.
- Appreciation and study of the difference between carving wood and stone.
At the end of one day the client will have completed, and will be able to take home a relief carving of a couple of over life size ivy leaves carved in oak, sycamore or lime, along with photos for social media and bragging right for friends.