You will spend 2 days in the outdoors learning both basic and more advanced navigation techniques such as grid references, relocation, compass bearings, aiming off, attack points, contour recognition and navigation on more technical, rougher and complex ground.
This is an ideal continuation for those who have undertaken a beginners course but also suitable for those who have not completed any prior training as we will tailor the exercises to each individuals ability.
One of the keys aspects in becoming a good navigator is to practise a wide range of navigation techniques and this really requires 2 full days of training, providing the time to practise the skills and learn from your course leader. The course cost does not include accommodation.
- Recap of basics: Scales, Symbols, Rights of Way, Contours.
- Recap of basics: Distances - Measuring and Estimating, Pacing and Timing.
- Grid system / references.
- Navigation using contours - slope, shape, smaller & more complex features, Valleys vs. Spurs.
- Basic navigation strategies - The 5 D's: Distance, Direction, Description, Duration, Danger.
- Relocation: Transit Points, Intersection, Resection, Features.
- Recap of compass basics: setting map and simple bearings from the map.
- Walking on a bearing from both the map and the ground.
- Following a bearing in bad visibility/darkness.
- Aiming Off, Collecting features, Back bearings, Attack Points.
- Aspect of Slope.
Further details and a recommended gear list will be sent to you after booking. You can also visit our website for full details
COVID-19 GuidanceAll our events are approved as "Good to Go" Covid-secure by Visit England. We plan to start operating again from 29th March in line with the schedule published by the government. If you would like further information or have any concerns please contact us or visit our website
"Book with Confidence Guarantee"
In addition to our standard terms we continue to allow you to reschedule your booking at any time for up to 12 months if required as a result of COVID-19. If local or national restrictions prevent you from attending you will also have the option of a full refund (minus booking or payment processing fees).