At Kernow Coasteering we want to make coasteering something that everyone can enjoy. So, during peak times, we will be offering our Beginners' Coasteering experience. These trips give you the chance to experience all the great things about coasteering, including exploring hidden parts of the Cornish coast, discovering its hidden caves and gullies, as well as a number of cliff jumps. However, this is coasteering at a more relaxed pace. The jumps only go up to 5 metres maximum and, like all of our coasteering trips, there is no obligation to do any jumps, if you don't want. In addition, we run these sessions at low tide. With more rock exposed, there is less swimming required. This is often the most tiring aspect of coasteering for many people. Lower tidal conditions give us more options to avoid particular sections during rougher sea conditions, by walking around or above them, whereas at higher tides they may be unavoidable.
The minimum age for this experience is 9 years of age.
Our standard Coasteering in West Cornwall sessions are open at all (providing minimum age is met) and no experience is required. However, you may prefer to join a Beginner Coasteering in Cornwall group if:
- You haven't been coasteering before and are not sure if coasteering is for you.
- If you aren't bothered about; or actively want to avoid doing our highest jumps.
- If you think the pressure of a more fast-paced group might not be for you.
- You want a more slow-paced activity rather than a more challenging, adrenalin-focused activity.
- If you have young people in your group i.e., 9 or 10, we'd recommend you consider a Beginner session.
- If you doubt your fitness and swimming ability, you may prefer a beginner session.
We carry out these sessions at Praa Sands, TR20 9TQ\*. Praa Sands is a wonderful site for coasteering. It has a varied route with many amazing features to explore. We have been coasteering at Praa Sands since 2014. No provider has been coasteering in west Cornwall for as long as us, and we know the place like the back of our hand. As well as providing awesome coasteering, Praa Sands is one of west Cornwall's longest sandy beaches and has all the facilities you could ask for. This includes ample parking, cafes, shops, restaurants and water sport equipment hire.
\Very rarely adverse weather conditions may require us to coasteer at one of our other venues. We will contact you in advance, if this becomes necessary.