Spend a full day with Green Man Survival, learning the key skills of survival in a wilderness setting. This course is run from a fixed camp deep in the forest on the shores of Windermere, in the heart of the Lake District. The fundamentals of bushcraft will be covered over the course of the day's training, including the following: Shelter
- Following a quick demonstration, you will erect your tarp shelter in the configuration of your choice. This is the perfect time to learn those boy scout knots! Building a debris shelter is a key skill in survival. As a group we will build a “thermal A frame” shelter to house one person. With time and commitment, people have lived in comfort for many weeks in such accommodation. Raised beds and the effects of conduction will be identified and if time allows utilised.Fire
- Fire is the key that unlocks the door to survival. Various methods to create initial flame shall be covered along with ember management and tinder bundles. We will take a short walk to gather further dry materials to aid in our success of creating fire, even in the pouring rain it is possible so the weather will never stop you again. With a comprehensive demonstration of the skills needed to create fire from a spark you will be tasked to use your new skill set to light your own fires.Water
- Collecting water and making it safe to drink is of paramount importance. You will be taught the skills to find a suitable source, assess its condition, collect it, filter it and boil it to make it safe for consumption. The five contaminates will be identified and also the methods surrounding chemical and mechanical filtration discussed. Food
- Foraging and plant identification is at the heart of bushcraft. Plant and tree identification will be a constant throughout the day. We will also touch upon fishing kits, traps and snares.Navigation
- Using nature as a resource is at the core of the subject of bushcraft. We will learn how to identify direction from the Sun, the stars and from the composition of the woods. We will also have a brief map study utilising the skills of modern navigation to prevent becoming lost and travelling with a plan in regards to our resources.Signalling
- Audio and visual signals could be the difference between rescue and another night in the woods. Various methods will be demonstrated and practised.Medical
- A comprehensive subject that we will briefly touch upon. We will have a look at what we are carrying and why. Movement
- Using our new found navigation skills we will navigate off the path and over rough ground. Employing dynamic risk assessment and possibly the odd river crossing if needed!
---All our experiences are offered on a private booking basis for you and your group, and you have complete flexibility to choose your own date for your experience. The minimum requirement is two adult tickets when booking this private activity.
Please see the single day kit list
for necessary equipment.
For any enquiries, get in touch
with Green Man Survival on 07946 841 772 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Duration: Full day (09:00 - approx 16:00)Challenge Level
Maximum No: 8 people
Suggested Min Age: 12 yrs