Spend a full day in the Cumbrian wilderness honing the key survival skill of making fire and creating your own friction fire lighting kit (bow drill).
Based in the relative comfort of our fixed woodland camp in the Lake District National Park, you will learn the essential foundations of making fire to survive and thrive. With our training, you will leave with the confidence in knowing that you own the key skill of fire lighting in any conditions and in any wilderness setting.
The below learning points will be covered:
- The fine art of material selection - tinders, kindling, fuel
- Tool use to create kindling and process tinder
- Fire lays
- Modern methods including initial flame, spark and solar ignition
- Ember management including char materials, fungi and tinder bundles
- The mastery of friction fire lighting
- The importance of fire and using fire as a tool
- Fire management
- The principles of ‘leave no trace’ including safely extinguishing and disposing of material
You will be allowed ample time to practice these skills while under the guidance of an expert survival instructor. This is a very hands-on training course that is designed to allow the learner to light numerous fires and master the fundamentals. Expect to go home with clothes and hair full of the aroma of wood smoke and with your very own hand made friction fire lighting kit!
---All our experiences are offered on a private booking basis for you and your group, and you have complete flexibility to choose your own date for your experience. The minimum requirement is two adult tickets when booking this private activity.
Please see the single day kit list
for necessary equipment.
For any enquiries, get in touch
with Green Man Survival on 07946 841 772 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Duration: Full day (09:00 - approx 16:00)Challenge Level
Maximum No: 8 people
Suggested Min Age: 12 yrs