An unforgettable 3 hour experience with homemade wild seaweed tasters. Step onto the Cornish shoreline and discover edible seaweeds; their qualities, colours, where/how they live, how to harvest them sustainably, use them, identify them and lots of recipe ideas!
Facilitated by an experienced guide and award-winning author on seaweed foraging and cooking. We'll cover the top 10, tastiest, most nutritional seasonal seaweeds, giving you hands-on, practical knowledge, enabling you to see the sea and coastline in a whole new way!
This autumn seaweed foraging course with tasters is led in a beautiful and un-spoilt area of south Cornwall, with the wide, rocky shore of Prisk cove, where we will be looking out to the great ocean herself and bask in a spectacular range of edible seaweeds at low tide.
Level of Walk: This course includes a walk across a couple of fields, over 1 or 2 stiles and down a small footpath onto a rocky beach. Approximately 1.5 miles.
Course outline and what to expect:
- 8-10 seaweeds
- Guidance on seaweed identification, safety, seasons and how to harvest and pick
- Tried and tested suggestions on cooking seaweeds and recipes
- How to dry and store seaweeds
- Nutritional and medicinal information (where known, please note I am not a Medical Herbalist)
- Wild seaweeds tasters – I will pre-make tasters that incorporate seaweeds, which we will enjoy during the course, e.g. – seaweed hummus and seaweed bread – hot spicy seaweed broth – seaweed crackers and wild garlic and seaweed dip – sweet seaweed cookies or meringues
- Guidelines on the legal side of harvesting seaweeds, including a Seaweed Harvesting Handout.
- Opportunity to buy a signed copy of my Seaweed book/s.