An unforgettable 3 hour experience with homemade wild seaweed tasters. Step onto the Cornish shoreline and discover edible seaweeds; their qualities, colours, where/how they live, how to harvest them sustainably, use them, identify them and lots of recipe ideas!
Facilitated by an experienced guide and award-winning author on seaweed foraging and cooking. We'll cover the top 10, tastiest, most nutritional seasonal seaweeds, giving you hands-on, practical knowledge, enabling you to see the sea and coastline in a whole new way!
This seaweed foraging course is run at the beautiful setting of Prussia Cove, with an old-England feel and sightings of St Michael's Mount. We will walk away from the popular Prussia Cove to a less used beach where the tide will reveal a fantastic range of seaweeds.
Level of walk: The walk is approximately 1.5 miles. It includes quite a steep though small slipway down to the beach and rocks and rock pools that can be slippery to be around.
Course outline and what to expect:
- 8-10 seaweeds
- Guidance on seaweed identification, safety, seasons and how to harvest and pick
- Tried and tested suggestions on cooking seaweeds and recipes
- How to dry and store seaweeds
- Nutritional and medicinal information (where known, please note I am not a Medical Herbalist)
- Wild seaweeds tasters – I will pre-make tasters that incorporate seaweeds, which we will enjoy during the course, e.g. – seaweed hummus and seaweed bread – hot spicy seaweed broth – seaweed crackers and wild garlic and seaweed dip – sweet seaweed cookies or meringues
- Guidelines on the legal side of harvesting seaweeds, including a Seaweed Harvesting Handout.
- Opportunity to buy a signed copy of my Seaweed book/s.