This course is for families and juniors with a minimum age of 6.
Enjoy a fun and active half-day with the family trying out rock climbing at this classic, beautiful crag, set in the ancient Dewerstone wood and surrounded by several hiking trails.
The Dewerstone is an awesome granite crag set on the wooded slopes above the river Plym, it is home to Devon’s first ever recorded rock climb - Mucky Gully, first climbed in 1894! Nowadays it is a hugely popular venue for local and visiting climbers alike, with some of the best low to middle grade climbs on Dartmoor - a perfect place for a climbing adventure!
Your instructor will help you set some goals and try appropriate challenges and you'll have the opportunity to get loads of climbing done and will be helping to hold the ropes for other group members when not climbing.
- No previous experience necessary.
You'll meet your instructor at the parking location where they will check that you have everything you need and issue you with some essential equipment such as a harness and helmet.
We will do a round of introductions - climbing is a really friendly activity so it’s great to get to know the others on the course.
You will then walk into the crag (a 20 minute, moderately physical, walk) on a beautiful trail through the woods and along the river to the crag where you will have a safety brief.
Then you get to climb! Our maximum capacity means everyone will get plenty of time to climb. When you're not climbing, you'll be involved in holding the ropes for the other climbers.
At the end of the session we'll wrap up, the instructor will need to de-rig, and we'll walk back to the parking together.
TICKET OPTIONS and UNDER 18's:
UNDER 18'S MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY THEIR PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN THROUGHOUT THE SESSION.
- If the accompanying parent or legal guardian does not want to climb, they will not need their own ticket.
- If the accompanying parent or legal guardian wants to climb too, they must purchase their own ticket (ticket name; participating parent or legal guardian).
- If adult family members/family friends of participating under 18's want to climb, they must purchase their own ticket (ticket name; participating family member/friend).
- Adults who are not known to any under 18 participant may not join this session, instead, check out our adult tasters here at Roche!