You've spent some time on the rock and are ready to take the next step to become an independent rock climber. Building on what you already know we will be there every step of the way, guiding, supporting and encouraging you to succeed. Before you know it you will be literally sitting on top of the world having completed your first independent lead climb.
- Low ratio of 3 participants (max) per instructor to maximise climbing time
- Learn all the skills required to lead climbs safely, efficiently and with confidence
- Gain experience on the world class single pitch routes of the Peak District
If you have already done some climbing and are looking to gain the skills and confidence that you need to become a lead climber on single pitch routes then this is the course for you. Over two days you will learn a 'toolbox' of essential lead climbing techniques that will allow you to operate successfully as an independent climber. By keeping the ratio of students to instructors low we ensure that we have sufficient time to have an in-depth approach to your learning. This detailed instruction combined with the wealth of stunning single pitch climbs that are available to us in the Peak District means that you will have had lots of opportunity to put what you learn into practice.
Lead climbing skills are introduced safely and progressively by our highly experienced instructors to ensure that you get the most from your course. You will learn everything you need to know to select an appropriate climb, assess what equipment is required and how best to use it and then climb the route safely and efficiently. By the end of the two days you will feel confident that you can safely lead climb on single pitch routes under your own steam.
Our training centre 'The Adventure Hub' has an indoor climbing facility along with a rope rigging skills and training area. Of course, we are all ready to take you climbing outside on real rock, but for those rainy days when we have exhausted our selection of sheltered crags, it's a great facility and exclusive to Pure Outdoor.
- Gain a thorough knowledge of suitable equipment for lead climbing
- Be able to build a safe and effective belay anchor
- Understand correct and efficient placement of protection equipment while climbing
- Know how to deal with common problems that might occur while leading
- Understand techniques for rope management and belaying for lead climbs
- Develop movement skills to improve lead climbing
- Understand climbing grading systems and use them to select appropriate routes
- Have a knowledge of climbing etiquette and environmental issues
- Do a lot of climbing!
NOTE - We’ve changed how we operate due to Covid-19 with your health and safety in mind. If you’ve got any questions on the steps we’ve taken, just drop us a message