An unforgettable 3 hour experience with homemade wild seaweed tasters. Step onto the Cornish shoreline and discover edible seaweeds; their qualities, colours, where/how they live, how to harvest them sustainably, use them, identify them and lots of recipe ideas!
Facilitated by an experienced guide and award-winning author on seaweed foraging and cooking. We'll cover the top 10, tastiest, most nutritional seasonal seaweeds, giving you hands-on, practical knowledge, enabling you to see the sea and coastline in a whole new way!
This summer seaweed foraging course with tasters is led in an accessible area on the edge of Falmouth. The beach and sea water has a good water quality/standard and has a wonderful range of seaweeds.
Level of walk: We will walk across the beach, around rock pools, and we use the steady walking surface of an outflow pipe to easily access seaweeds further out towards the sea. This is an accessible venue.
Course outline and what to expect:
- 8-10 seaweeds
- Guidance on seaweed identification, safety, seasons and how to harvest and pick
- Tried and tested suggestions on cooking seaweeds and recipes
- How to dry and store seaweeds
- Nutritional and medicinal information (where known, please note I am not a Medical Herbalist)
- Wild seaweeds tasters – I will pre-make tasters that incorporate seaweeds, which we will enjoy during the course, e.g. – seaweed hummus and seaweed bread – hot spicy seaweed broth – seaweed crackers and wild garlic and seaweed dip – sweet seaweed cookies or meringues
- Guidelines on the legal side of harvesting seaweeds, including a Seaweed Harvesting Handout.
- Opportunity to buy a signed copy of my Seaweed book/s.